PDA

View Full Version : How shared is shared..?

Dragonsi
05-01-2004, 04:49 AM
I have been using Win2000 for some time and was happy with its security and my network. However, I had loads of problems after installing SP4 - so in my anger, reformated and install XP Home.

Now I am slightly worried after what I have been reading about the Shared folders being visable on the net. Is this true? Can folders that I make shared for my network also be seen on the Internet?

I know I need to upgrade to XP Pro to get more security, this is coming soon.....

Edited 05/05

thusmann
05-19-2004, 01:04 PM
You will need to get all of the updates and patches for XP Home in order to consider it to be secured. Unless you have a good firewall setup, any shares that can be be seen have the potential of being hacked into. With new security threats being discovered all the time, the best way to secure your computer is to setup a seperate firewall and block all inbound connection attempts. Use NAT to allow access to the Internet from your Internal Network and if your firewall permits, put all ports in stealth mode (no ping reply). Dont forget to install a good AV sofware and spyware/trojan remover/detector.

Dragonsi
05-19-2004, 02:14 PM
Thanks thusmann,

I have a good antivirus and firewall. My firewall has been tested by several sites and from a Linux run laptop (trying to gain entry). I am 99.9% happy with it's security. However, XP is another matter - since it come out, I have never trusted it - it appears to have too many flaws..

I should have XP Pro in a few weeks, hopefully that is a lot more secure.

thusmann
05-19-2004, 02:35 PM
The one thing you have to remember is that shares are shared and if someone can see the share, all they need is the password.

You should be able to configure your Firewall so that people cannot browse your local network for shares.

I would say that any PC with MS is vulnerable to attack, so be sure the attackers cannot see the PC.

M0rtym0use
05-19-2004, 04:48 PM
One thing you could do is setup your network behind a NAT, ie have one real world ip going into a router and then have a local ip scope from which your machines on a network use, this has the added security benefits of blocking direct access to your machines.

Also you may want to consider moving away from XP Home :-)

MM

Dragonsi
05-20-2004, 08:20 AM
Thanks everyone, it seems my suspicions were correct - Shared folders on XP Home are not secure enough for business.

If I had the money (and space) I would install a Samba Server for all business related data.... oh well... I can dream....

southplatte
05-20-2004, 05:36 PM
Samba server? I assume you are talking about doing a linux/unix to windows connection?

Dragonsi
05-21-2004, 01:38 PM
Hi Southplate - nice to see ya posting again..

Yes - it would be a Linux server but using Windows terminal (for software reasons)...

I already have an old 500MHz Pc which I am trying to setup as a router/firewall. However, I only have 64Mb of RAM and a 10G HDD in it... It needs a bit more before I could concider making it into a Samba Server...

southplatte
05-21-2004, 11:00 PM
It's good to be posting again...finally finished with school.

I run my samba on a Sun workstation I picked up on ebay for about $150 - works for what I need it for right now. It is only a 300mhz, but it's a sparc processor so it is faster. It has 512mb ram and two 10gig.

Dragonsi
05-23-2004, 04:37 PM
The jump up from my current config would need some careful planning. I would need a decent router and then moving all the files >> it's not too much like hard work, it's just the time at the moment, I ain't got much of that...